- Caster Sugar
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla pod/ cloves/ cinnamon-optional
The oh-so-simple method!:
- Prepare the crabapples, cover them with water in a saucepan and cook for about 20-30 mins until completely soft and pulpy. Strain this overnight in a muslin cloth or jelly bag.
- The next day, weigh the quantity of crabapple and add an equal or slightly greater amount of caster sugar, juice of 1 lemon and cook until the mixture is boiling. Simmer and continue to let the mixture boil while skimming any froth.
- I added a vanilla pod to this boiling mixture. You could choose not to or perhaps try cloves or a cinnamon bark.
- Test if its ready to set using a cold spoon, the same way you would test whilst jam making. It took me about 30 mins for a kilo of crabapples.
- Strain into jam jars and set in a fridge. It could take up to 24 hours to set although mine only took about 3!
- Happy jelly-making!
|Straining the pulp mixture overnight|