I am terrible at wearing weather/activity appropriate footwear. This morning, for example, I walked across a muddy pumpkin farm in my leopard flats. I don't need to tell you what those dainty shoes look like right now. I will of course rescue them but that isn't the point. I do this all the time and don't engage brain with shoes, to my own despair. My trusty old Keds have suffered in a similar fashion. They've come with me on so many of my travels over the years but have also survived many an inappropriate walk to the allotment. I finally decided to treat them with the respect they deserve.
This is quite possibly one of the easiest of easy DIYs on my blog. This is what I did:
- Machine wash the shoes. You can do this with Converse's too.
- Let them dry out well. This could take a couple of days at least, in this weather.
- Plan your up-cycled shoe design.
- Use glitter glue and a paint brush to apply sparkle to your shoes. This can be done just the way I recommended in my DIY Almost Choos post.
- Apply at least two coats.
- Let them dry out properly.
- Sparkle while you walk in comfort.